Role: Full Stack Developer
Location: Remote (preference Dublin)
Role Status: Full Time
Remuneration: Based on Experience
ChangeX is a marketplace connecting proven ideas for strengthening communities with teams who start them locally and those with the resources to support – ideas like Grow it Yourself, Men’s Sheds, Repair Café, parkrun and Playworks, adopted and started by teachers, healthcare professionals, community workers and other proactive citizens.
There are thousands of social innovations across the world that have been proven to work, but too few at global scale, leading to wasteful reinvention or worse, no solution at all. Technology can address this. We’re on a mission to help build thriving communities everywhere – in our first four years, over 300,000 people have benefitted from over 9,000 new projects started on ChangeX.
Our business model is called Impact as a Service – we make it easy for funders to find and invest in the ideas they want to spread in regions they care most about – customers include Microsoft and AIB among others. Our philanthropic backers come from some of the best recognised venture firms including Andreessen Horowitz, Union Square Ventures and Insight Ventures as well as founders like Mike Lee (MyFitnessPal), Colm Lyon (Fire) and Jerry Greenfield (Ben & Jerry’s). Our team is based at Dogpatch Labs in Dublin with team members in the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking for a full stack developer to join a small talented product team (remote working options available). This team is working to simplify and accelerate the way people fund, start and grow projects in their communities. We’re looking for an engineer who shares our belief in the power of great technology to transform the lives of real offline communities. If you want to ensure your engineering skills have a positive impact in the world, we’d love to talk to you.
Examples of Technical Challenges:
- Development of new impact quantification, tracking & reporting system for the world’s first social impact trading marketplace
- Build new features that bring 100% financial transparency to how projects use funding
- Deploy machine learning models focused on optimized resource allocation, fraud detection and impact content curation
- Build new features that bring the impact of funded projects to life including BI dashboards, impact feeds and open impact APIs.
- 2+ years experience developing web applications
- Previous experience with programming Ruby/Rails
- Strong UX and design sensibilities;
- Solid experience with AWS, Heroku or other cloud providers;
- Strong programming skills with a focus on clean design, well-refactored code and automated testing
- Confident playing a major role in the vision & development direction of the product;
- Demonstrated commitment to social change;
- An entrepreneurial track record ideally, with strong empathy and ethical fibre;
Technologies we Use:
- Ruby on Rails is our primary server framework;
- Foundation is our primary front end development framework;
- Deployed on AWS using Heroku for managing infrastructure;
- PostgreSQL Database;
- GitHub for source code management and process support;
- Travis for continuous integration.
Perks & Benefits:
- Remote working options
- Flexible hours and vacation time;
- Enjoy annual performance related bonuses;
- Exercise your mind and body with onsite yoga sessions and gym;
- Master new skills from those around you with onsite talks and networking at dogpatch labs;
- Work in a great location with excellent facilities in Dublin city. 2 min walk from Dart and Luas.
How we Work:
Our development team currently work remotely as a team with members in Galway, Dublin and Barcelona. Our wider organisation has people based in United States and the Netherlands. Dublin is our headquarters and main office space – with core Operations, Sales, Support and Impact teams. Remote working has become part of our company DNA. We believe that it offers a lot of advantages to both ChangeX and employees.
We run a lightweight process that focuses on feature-based delivery on a weekly basis. Our coordination and communication are mostly through daily ‘catch-up meetings’ and use of appropriate tools such as Trello for backlog management, Slack for communication and Git(GitHub) for source control and feature deployment through PRs and Milestones.
From a coding perspective, we place a strong emphasis on clean, minimal, well-refactored code backed up by a robust suite of automated tests. We make use of peer review for all design and development work.In general, we strive for an approach that empowers and trusts individuals to ‘do the right thing’, and as a team, we try and keep each other true to this.
We are initially looking for resumes and portfolio examples of your work e.g. GitHub repositories, blog articles, etc. If you do not have anything suitable we can provide a problem piece to work together on. From there we filter down and do a series of interviews (remote if required). These are often ‘work’ focused i.e. looking at code together, pair programming for example. Our preference is for candidates to talk to as much of the team as possible so that we, team and candidate, can make the best decision possible.
To apply, please send CV or equivalent with a note outlining why you think you’d be the right person to email@example.com